Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stem Cell Research

So Bush is going to use his first veto to block a stem cell research bill. A bill that the Senate and the majority of the American people want. But his ultra right wing, loony fringe Republican core vote demand that he vetoes, so he vetoes.

I have some problems with stem cell research, as I have problems with a variety of moral issues. I can never look at them as just black and white but the passing of a bill banning the growing and aborting of foetuses simply for research helps to allay a fear of harvesting of foetuses. John Kerry suggested at the time of the 2004 election that embryos which had been discarded after IVF treatment could be used - this seemed like an eminently sensible suggestion to me.

Bush claims he is against stem cell research because "murder is wrong". A principled view. I don't entirely agree but it is based on a firm principle.

I look forward to his announcement of a presidential decree halting all executions in the United States.

No comments: