Monday, August 07, 2006

Why Madonna Is Wrong

There's a whole brouhaha about Madonna and her cross. Particularly in taking it to Rome. Read more here.

As a Catholic (albeit very lapsed) I find her actions completely offensive. I don't agree with many of the teachings of the Catholic Church, I think their opposition to homosexuality is insulting and the opposition to the use of condoms is literally murderous. That's why I don't attend Church any more despite coming from a relatively religious family.

But there's a difference between disagreeing with the teachings of the Church (or any religion) and deliberately setting out to insult the Church in their own back garden. My aunt is a nun and I went to visit her in the convent she stayed in - I didn't get into a discussion about the need for contraceptives, instead I respected the beliefs of the people who had invited me into their convents. I did this because it was the polite thing to do.

Madonna is trampling over the beliefs of the people of Rome which is ridiculously rude. She is using an image which is sacred to many millions of people across the world to gain herself some cheap publicity. Is it worth it? I doubt it.

Debate is always to be encouraged, and there is much scope for debate to be found in the teachings of the Catholic Church and Madonna, like everyone else, is entitled to state her opinions. But she isn't doing anything to encourage debate, she is just behaving in a crass and offensive manner which shows a lack of respect for anyone other than herself and her bank balance.

Still at least she has managed to unite the Roman Catholics, Jews and Muslims. Perhaps we should send her to the Middle East.

No comments: